Monday, July 18, 2011

In the mood to cook?

Make it work for you!! You know that tomorrow or the next day you won't feel like it so plan ahead.

I really feel like cooking today. I have time and I know I will have time to make meals the rest of the week since I will be home (potentially) all but Tuesday.

We picked up a bulk order of pork yesterday and the lady we ordered from was kind enough to offer us bags of bones. She said some people use them for their dogs and I, well, I will use them for soup. I started cooking one bag down last night and Dave finished it off (THANK YOU!!) Today I packaged and froze it for soup broth.

We are having chicken spiedies sans the roll for dinner tonight. Yes, I know, too much of the world has no idea what that is. Google it - or if you have Swagbucks toolbar maybe you can get some points for it. Last time I froze chicken breast I was lazy. I just shoved the whole package in the freezer. I know, horrible. Anyway, because of that I had to thaw way more chicken then I wanted to use. I cut enough chicken breasts in half length wise to marinate for the grill tonight. I will also throw some thin sliced green squash on with a bit of olive oil, pepper, salt, garlic powder, and paprika.

Next I cut some up in cubes to marinate and put in the oven. Those ones will be frozen for another meal after they are cooked.

The rest of it (yes, there was more-I bought the family pack) I cut into cubes and put in the oven with mushroom soup. I am making rice now so I can mix it with the chicken and freeze it in a throw away pan for next Wednesday's dinner - chicken and rice.

I also pulled apple/sugar/cinnamon mixture out of the freezer and put that in a pan, topped it with blueberries and candied ginger, then sprinkled a mixture of butter, oats, brown sugar and cinnamon over top for tonight's dinner. I want to spoil my man. He totally deserves it. I will let you know how that dessert turns out.

I am also going to make sauce today because Dave has been wanting hot sausage and sauce over pasta. That will be easy to throw in the crock pot Thursday to go along with the homemade pasta I am making today. On second thought I will make the sauce and pasta on Wednesday or Thursday. My kitchen is already a mess from what I made so far. Even easier for you is to just buy a box of pasta. Super easy dinner if you pre-make the sausage and sauce then throw it in the freezer for another day or even just toss it in that morning. You don't even have to cut up the sausage if don't want to. If you freeze it all do you pull it out and stick it in the crock pot for the day, come home, cook the pasta and a veggie and you are set. One of the best things I have found if I want fresh veggies quick is Ziplocs Zip and Steam bags.You have fresh steamed broccoli in minutes.

The most important thing? Don't over achieve. Make it manage-able. If you start a million things you will be worn out and grumpy. That serves no one, least of all yourself. for today I am happy I got what I did done. I know it will make my life easier whether I am working or preparing my house for a move.

No comments:

Post a Comment