Friday, July 29, 2011

The easiest waffles ever!

We love homemade waffles in our house. My husband actually likes to make the waffles. I guess somehow "fancy breakfast" turned into his thing - well, pancakes and waffles anyway. He does scrabbled eggs sometimes too.

I found this recipe on Hallee the Homemaker's website a few months ago. - Sue's Oatmeal Blender Waffles

Since then we have made them several times. It's so nice because you can easily do the second part in the AM while the waffle iron heats up. If you plan to make these make sure you realize you start it the night before!!! The first time I made them I didn't have buttermilk or any other alternative so I used coconut milk. I can say that they were some of the best waffles I ever had and "felt" a bit healthier than your ordinary white flour waffle. They practically melt in your mouth.

The second time we made them with homemade buttermilk. They were still really good but not quite as rich and melty.

The 3rd and 4th times we tried pancakes. Time number one they were super flat but still melt in your mouth. The second time they were nicely puffed and so delicious. Oops, guess something went wrong with the baking soda the other time. New baking soda did the trick.

We absolutely LOVE this recipe and since I buy oats by the 50# I always have plenty of them. You definitely need to try them.

We also skip the store bought syrup and make our own. While waffles are cooking we put brown sugar(soon I will experiment with raw sugar), a bit of water and vanilla or some other flavoring in it in a pan on the stove. I bring it to a boil for a minute or so and then turn it off to sit. So good and much cheaper then pancake syrup. Last time I added fresh blueberries to it and cooked it over medium for a while to help soften up the berries before I brought it to a boil to thicken it quicker. Our "homemade syrup" takes about 10 minutes to make.

1 comment:

  1. I don't think I'd ever think to try making my own syrup, but it sounds super easy - and better than store-bought!

    ReplyDelete