Sunday, July 31, 2011

GriIllin' Lunch

I have come to the conclusion that if you try really hard you can feed a family of 5 for pretty inexpensively. I have made quite a few dinners this week under $7 per meal - COMPLETE meal, as in all 5 had plenty to eat and Dave has lunch tomorrow.

I got a good deal on chicken legs - .69# so I pulled those out of the freezer and marinated them in apple cider vinegar, oil, 2 eggs, and seasonings (appr. 5#). I actually cooked it last night and left it to marinate over night. Perfect because with a late lunch today we needed it done quickly. It was on the grill 10 minutes and DONE.

I bought red potatoes - 5# for 2.50. We used just over half of them. I sliced them in the food processor and put a serving on foil (5) added chopped onions, dabs of butter, a little shredded cheddar, salt and freshly ground pepper. Folded that up and put them on the top shelf of the grill for around 20 - 30 minutes.

Then I sliced up tomatoes- the seconds I bought at less than $.50#, used approximately 1#.

Lunch cost us approximately $6 if you figure in odd change for the products I already had in my cabinet.

I know some can't get different things quite as cheap but if I just went to the nearest grocery store I couldn't either. I found other options which is how I am able to get these prices.

My challenge (from my other blog) is see where you can cut costs. First do a breakdown of what a meal is costing you then see if you can cut it and still eat well.

I paid approximately

No comments:

Post a Comment