Sunday, October 23, 2011

What you really CAN do!

A few months ago my KitchenAid mixer BROKE. That is one of the worst kitchen things that could break for me. Of course it isn't under warranty anymore, even though it is only 3 years old. The frustrating thing to me is that it was still running. It just wasn't turning the beaters.

Enter me, the "fixer of all things". I took that baby apart but got to a certain part and couldn't figure out how to get it apart enough. I put it back together and finally, weeks later, we went to look at new ones.

This time we decided to look for the top of the line one. It's pretty simple, I know what I want. Of course it costs $400 BUT with a 20% off coupon AND a rebate for buying one of 2 attachment options, you really couldn't beat it. The problem was they didn't have warranty information on the box AND I really don't have $400 for a mixer right now. The other problem is that I really DO need a mixer. It is somehting that I use several times a week.

We decided to go home and figure things out. Dave decided that maybe I didn't take enough of it apart (obviously I didn't since I couldn't find anymore pieces to take apart.) Here is why it is so much better for two to work together. He found some hidden screws. Between the two of us we got everything apart and found out that Kitchenaid mixers have A TON OF GREASE in the housing, like gobs of the stuff...grotesque amounts of it!!!!

We found out that a PLASTIC gear had stripped. Yes, everything but the most important gear on the mixer is metal. We got it off, found a replacement part on Amazon, and in 3-5 days we will get the new part for $12.97 and free shipping. Now we are going to hope and pray that goes in easily and WORKS.

If it works we have just saved ourselves over $300. If it doesn't we have lost $13. I prefer to risk losing $13. You just never know what you are capable of until you try.

Oh, BTW, you can buy Kitchenaid Mixer grease on Amazon for $20...just in case you ever need to know that.

No comments:

Post a Comment