Monday, October 17, 2011

Brownies and Egg-less Molasses Cookies

This is about a lot of things. I knew coming into my "blogging life" that I can be quite random so I wanted to call it "ramblings and randomness". However, someone had that brilliant idea before me. Oh well. You have been warned.

I woke up this morning and made the children their favorite breakfast-oatmeal. We decided to try chocolate chips instead of cranberries, raisins, and sugar. Excellent idea, right? In theory, yes. In actuality, no. Oh well. You live, you learn. It started our day off badly because everyone thought this was going to be the best breakfast ever and it was a dud.

Then I thought Kieran had a one-on-one class with his teacher at 9 so I delayed starting school until then since it is always a pain to be half way through the subject and have to set it aside until later. WRONG!! After arriving at his classroom online and waiting 10 minutes I double checked the time - 11:30.

Next I got him started on a subject and started up my netbook. Ok, tried to start up my netbook. The dying battery light flashed even though it was plugged in. *Sigh* I tried to start up the PC and the data wasn't making it from the computer tower to the screen. YAY!!! Two broken computers. Thankfully the PC did start up later but I don't know how long that will last.

(Yes, I am getting to the brownies and molasses cookies.)

On a positive note I was able to wash 2 loads of laundry today without my children killing themselves or each other. Some of you know my horrible laundry room situation but if you don't, here it is. **We live in a very very small house. That means there is no space to put inside stairs to the basement. Really, it would take up my whole bathroom space to do so! We also have a front 2nd story porch that is the whole length and 1/3 the width of our house. I have to go outside, downstairs, through the garage, a second room and then back the length to the back of the basement to get to the washer and dryer. Great for exercise, not so great when you hear a thud and scream from upstairs.**

You would think two technology issues in one day was enough but no, my husband texted me on the way home and when he got home, with no coffee in hand (he asked me what I wanted), asked why I didn't text him back. I did. However, my phone says it sent it but he never got it and the sent copy had no message. Good thing a new phone is on its way.

Halfway through the day I received an email reminding me that I have snacks for our Community Group meeting tomorrow. I thought it was in November. OOPS! So now what??! I am gone from 5:30 AM until 10:30 PM tomorrow!! I finally was able to think about what I was taking around 5:00 tonight. There are a lot of allergies in our group and I really try to make sure there is yummy stuff for everyone, or as close to everyone as possible. With tree nut, peanut, egg, dairy, and sulfite allergies it is a challenge I honestly love. (I am so sorry Becky. I am not sure if I was successful.)

I grabbed my old standby - Pillsbury chocolate fudge brownie mix (sorry Erin). Instead of oil I used some of my yummy home canned applesauce and threw in chocolate syrup and cinnamon. Dairy and nut (both types) free!!!

Then, around 9 PM I found a recipe for eggless molasses cookies. SWEET!! I have been wanting molasses crinkles for awhile so it kills 2 (birds) with one stone. I get them and I don't eat them all.

They are so good, even though they are a little low on the molassesy flavor. I will definitely make them again. Once I perfect the recipe I will share it with you.

I feel accomplished. My whole day felt like such a bust but when I pulled those trays of cookies out of the oven-I felt IT. I accomplished something!
Plus those cookies were awfully yummy.

No comments:

Post a Comment