Saturday, August 27, 2011

Quirky Week?

First we get an earthquake on the East coast, then a hurricane is heading our way. Well, in between that my kids get to experience their first vicious thunderstorm of the year. Yes, I know, we have had several this year. They were all at night!!

At the first clap of thunder Eann wondered if we were having another earthquake. No sweetie, it's a thunder storm. "I have never heard a thunderstorm this bad mom."

"Well Eann, we have had SEVERAL this year already but you see, you all slept right through them." The look on his face was hysterical. He couldn't believe me at first. These children literally sleep through smoke detectors blasting for 10 minutes in their bedrooms at the 1 AM, "there's a battery dead somewhere and the electric back up is letting you know."

So enter tonight. We haven't been real freaked out to be honest. I mean, we have prepared just in case but no big concerns. But then there are tornado warnings EVERYWHERE. We opted to haul sleeping children through the rain to the basement "just in case". After all, we do live on a hill. Thankfully it was just a "drill". Two stayed asleep through the journey down, laying on the hard floor, and back up through the rain. The other heard tornado and has been awake for a bit. Again, Eann. We get them all back in be and Eann comes out all worried because "the sky looked red". Seriously?? I have no idea what that child saw. It is BLACK out there besides the floodlights at the mushroom farm. there is no mistaking ANYTHING for red tonight but I think he was sure the sky was falling or something.

Meanwhile, Dave is using a SNOW SHOVEL to scoop water out of the driveway because it is running into the garage like it's a riverbed. Problem is there is nowhere for the water to go. It's a losing battle. Now the turtle sand box has become a water catch all in hopes of alleviating it. What next? Empty the garbage bags out of the trash cans and put them out? Put all my packing boxes out to sop it up?

Oh, and Dave just said "The good thing is the eye is still down near Richmond." I asked what is so good about that. He didn't have an answer. I think he is too tired to actually be carrying a conversation.

So what is coming tomorrow? I have no idea but I am ok waiting to find out. For now I will go make myself a cup of Mexican hot chocolate and find something to eat. I missed dinner. :-/

No comments:

Post a Comment