Friday, June 24, 2011

Strawberry Rhubarb Shortcake

It has been an interesting week. A friend and I agreed to skip the sugar this week. You know, no candy, sweets, etc. We didn't skip fruit though, no worries!!

We had a few exceptions and mine was dessert last night. We had company and I wanted my dessert!!! Side note, it's going so well we are doing it again next week. Sunday is our "free" day and I may need a fancy sugary coffee drink Monday night since I will be driving through the night but other than that, no sugar.

Oops, where was I? Oh yeah, strawberry shortcake. :) Well, I started dessert and realized I had a teensy tiny problem. I have NO white sugar in my house. NONE!!! I really didn't feel like running to the store. If you have several children yourself, I am sure you completely understand the agony of running to the store for one single item, them in tow.

I decided to once again make my guests my guinea pigs. Some of you know that feeling already, haha.

I made the shortcake from Robert Irvine's strawberry shortcake recipe. Instead of white sugar I used packed brown sugar. The cake turned out really good.
After baking the cake I put it on a plate to cool then sliced it into 2 layers.

Next I spread a layer of strawberry rhubarb filling between the layers.

I made the filling by cooking together 2 stalks of rhubarb(chopped), 6-8 strawberries (quartered), approximately 1 cup of water, 2 tablespoons honey, and 1.5 tablespoons cornstarch. I cooked this mixture on medium, stirring frequently until it was fairly thick. After taking it off the burner I let it cool then put it between the layers.

After I plated each slice I heaped sliced strawberries on and around it, and spooned ginger honey whipped cream on the top.

To make the whipped cream I put approximately 1 cup heavy whipping cream in a chilled bowl. Then I drizzled honey over the beaters - not much. Maybe a teaspoon. AS I starting beating the cream I sprinkled approximately 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger into the mixture. The whipped cream was done when it formed stiff peaks.

I admit that it was the best sugar I have had all week!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment