Monday, February 28, 2011

A Clean Kitchen

For some reason a clean kitchen always makes me want to bake and cook. I do wish I had a dishwasher though. By the time I am done I don't really feel like washing dishes.

On today's agenda I have: trying out a new lemon ginger scone recipe(check), granola, bread, and am trying polenta for the very first time.

I made the lemon ginger scones from http://www.fabulousfoods.com/recipes/article/42/17727 . They were pretty easy, besides the time it takes to chop crystallized ginger and zest lemon. They weren't as doughy as the recipe said. It was way too sticky to pat and cut. I scraped it all onto the pan and smoothed it out instead. I also didn't have buttermilk so used a substitute - 1 tablespoon vinegar in milk(let sit 5 minutes).

As a result of not being doughier, they also didn't have the proper scone texture. That aside, they did taste good. You do need to like the flavor of ginger or you will not like this recipe. Every bite gives you a burst of ginger and/or lemon flavor. I will try this recipe 1 more time with a little more flour. If it still isn't texturally right I will check out a different recipe.

BTW, I did wash my breakfast and baking dishes so my kitchen isn't destroyed....yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment