Saturday, February 5, 2011

Baking and ramblings

So I was in a car accident the other day. Yeah, not the way you would traditionally start a "I baked a cake" blog posting. Thankfully I wasn't severely injured as one would expect when you rear end a dump truck. A miracle really. In the split second before it happened I thought we would all be seriously injured. My neck is in a lot of pain, my body is sore, and yeah, my neck is in really bad shape right now.

How does this have anything to do with cake baking? Quite a bit in fact. I never realized it actually required muscle to bake a cake. Baking a cake is quite easy normally. Apparently, as I learned today, it can be quite an undertaking when your neck doesn't work so well. Pretty much every part of your body is affected. I am ok using my fingers thankfully. However, anything that requires moving my arm, back or legs hurts.

Why did I make a cake? My husband's birthday was Monday. We celebrate birthdays with cake at my parents' house where we have Sunday dinner pretty much every week. I wanted to make a super special cake and wasn't going to let my neck stop me. Here is the cake I was attempting and should easily have been able to make. http://cafejohnsonia.blogspot.com/2008/03/chocolate-peanut-butter-mousse-cake.html

It should have been easy. I have been baking since I was 6. Apparently I didn't grease the pan enough which is absolutely absurd. I have not had issues with a cake sticking in a very long time. That cake would not come out of the pan. I tried every trick in the book. Anyway, eventually half came out. I am no longer making a cake.

Tomorrow we will have layers of cake crumble, vanilla pudding, and homemade chocolate whipped cream ( http://www.recipes4cakes.com/frostings/whipped_frosting.htm) . Over top I will sprinkle shavings of Ghiradelli white chocolate.

I was getting sick of cake anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment