Friday, September 16, 2011

All About Food

Today has been all about food here!! I was on a roll and it was (is) FUN!!!

I decided to pull out my food dehydrator and figure it out since I have several bags of organic red delicious apples in the basement from the last food auction. They are close to going bad and I don't want to lose more money. They turned out beautifully!!! So awesome to make a favorite (healthy) treat all on my own. I also threw some grapes int here. They are half way done. While I had the dehydrator open to pull off the apples I decided to try making yogurt leather too. We'll see what happens. I used half blueberry, half strawberry Greek yogurt.

I also made my perfected banana chocolate bread recipe into muffins. I am finally completely happy with the recipe AND I use whole wheat flour but it doesn't even taste like it. Instead of putting the oat/brown sugar/butter streusel on it I sprinkled oats and a tiny bit of raw sugar on top. PERFECT!!!!

I also made Dave brownies since he commented late last night that he wished he had made brownies like he had thought of doing. I used Betty Crocker premium chocolate chunk brownies for the last time. They are super yummy and gooey and chocolatey deliciousness but it is time to embark on finding the perfect homemade brownie - HFCS(high fructose corn syrup or whatever they are calling it these days) free. I usually just doctor up boxed mixes because I never like the homemade recipes I try. They are always just kinda blah. Although I just checked my favorite boxed mix - Pillsbury. They still use plain old sugar(Who knew they could be AS good??!!! I actually like them better than BC). However, since the days of free brownie mix seem to be drawing to a close I still need to find a good recipe.

Finally, I have a friend who very graciously gave me her bread machine that was collecting dust(??) in her home. Today it is kicking off it's debut in its new home. Since I never do things by the book and I didn't have bread flour, OR all purpose flour, I substituted homemade oat flour. We'll see if it works.

Thankfully we have leftover chicken soup and salad from the last few nights' meals so dinner has an appointment with the microwave.

**Edited to add - the bread turned out great. I can only shake my head in amazement. I really though it wouldn't turn out.

No comments:

Post a Comment