Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Dishes in the Tub Kind of Day

What? Don't tell me. You've never heard of "dishes in the tub"? Well, I have lived in many places. Most of them, because of spacial issues(a.k.a. too little space), do not have much counter space. I mean, we are talking MINISCULE. I have about 2 feet of use-able counter space. I have no dishwasher, nor is there space for one. I am also not a dishwasher. (Read, my husband does most the dishes when he has time.) Well, he is insanely busy at work this week and I have been insanely busy and we have 3 days of dishes piled up. With a family of 5 that is ALOT of dishes.

What I discovered the other year is that if you put your dishes and bowls(no silverware, cups, or sharp knives) in a clean tub, fill with hot soapy water, and let sit, it is much easier to wash dishes.

They sit there while I wash a few dishes in the kitchen, PRETENDING I am almost done. It is so much easier to wash dishes without a pile threatening to topple over on you. While the dishes soak in the bathroom I wash the cups and silverware. Once they are dry I start bringing piles of dishes to the kitchen. Much easier to wash after they have soaked!!!

Only problem? I want to take a shower and the dishes aren't done. *SIGH*. And after they ARE done I will have to clean the tub.

My husband will be happy though. He won't have to wash dishes and his wife will look (and smell) much better.

Oh, and one last tip? Soak the silverware in a pan of hot soapy water. Loosens anything stuck to the silver and soaks the pan, all at once. :)

2 comments:

  1. I'm not the only one that does that?? YAY! My boyfriend thinks it's weird but when they pile up and you need space so they can actually DRY... you gotta do what ya gotta do! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe! Nope. Thought I was though lol.

    ReplyDelete